Good news has come out for the country facing the Corona crisis. The Drug Controller General of India has approved the emergency use of Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine. Sputnik V is the third vaccine to be approved for use after Covishield and Covaxin. According to the information, it will be delivered to the people soon. Initially, it will be imported from Russia, but it will be produced in the country itself in the coming time.
Sputnik V Vaccine Approved in India
The Subject Expert Committee (SEC) on COVID-19 on Monday recommended limited emergency use of ‘Sputnik V’. DCGI had already approved the emergency use of ‘COVAXIN’ of Bharat Biotech and the ‘Covishield’ vaccine of Oxford-Estrogenica produced by Serum Institute of India.
Sources said that about ten crore doses of the Sputnik V vaccine are likely to be imported in the next six to seven months. Earlier on Monday, Russia had hoped that the process of getting approval for its anti-Covid vaccine ‘Sputnik V’ in India would be completed soon.
Five special things of Sputnik-V
- Russian Direct Invest Fend (RDIF) has partnered with several Indian pharmaceutical companies, including Hyderabad-based pharmaceutical company Dr Reddy Laboratories, to manufacture Sputnik-V doses in India. Apart from Reddy Laboratories, the partnership includes Hetero Biopharma, Gland Pharma, Stelis Biopharma and Vichrow Biotech.
- Russia approved the use of this vaccine only in August last year. The decision by Russia to support its use before the vaccine was carried out on a large scale clinical trial was criticised by many experts. However, according to a later study on this vaccine, it has been entirely safe and effective to fight Covid-19.
- According to reports, this vaccine has been prepared by keeping the common cold. And cold human adenoviral vectors in the centre. This vaccine used in two doses uses two different vectors. Due to which it keeps our immunity strong for a long time.
- Sputnik V Vaccine, prepared by the Russia-based Gamaleya Institute, is up to 91.6 per cent effective against the coronavirus. It was tested on 19,866 people in Russia. According to the Sputnik website, the final phase was tested in the UAE, India, Venezuela and Belarus.
- In the global market, the price of each dose of this vaccine is about $ 10. Its dry form is kept between 2 to 8 degrees. Its production labour force in the country is about 850 million doses. Due to which it will work to give more momentum to the war against the Covid-19 epidemic.