Do you get random video calls from strangers on your Google Duo app? Well, this is one of the downsides of sharing your phone number with a Google account. So when people have access to your phone number, they can connect with you on Duo, which works just like other video calling apps, and they can video call you anytime on your phone. If you are annoyed by it, you can stop it for once. Read here to learn how to stop random video calls on Google Duo.
Stop receiving random video calls on Google Duo
There are several ways you can block people from video calling you on Google Duo, and we’ll go through them all one by one. So, read till the end, because there is a bonus tip too.
1. Block Calls from a Number
If you’re following a particular number, you can get rid of this number, preventing it from calling you on Google Duo.
Here’s how to block someone on the Google Duo app:
- Open the Google Duo app on your phone.
- Scroll up and when you see your contacts, tap the number or contact you want to block.
- In the contact options menu, tap on “BLOCK USER”.
- Check the box “Report as spam” if applicable.
- 5. Otherwise, tap on “BLOCK”.Simply. You can block or report and block abuse without selecting “Report as Spam” or any abuse type.
2. Stop Sharing Your Phone Number
This is probably the best way to stop people from calling you on Google Duo. When people have your number, they can identify you and contact you directly on Duo. Well, you can stop sharing your number from your Google Account settings. This way:
- On your phone or PC, open a browser and go to https://myaccount.google.com/.
- Now, log in with your Google Account details and then tap on “Review Suggestions” under the Privacy Suggestions available section.
- Until you see “Help people connect with you”, scroll down and tap on it.
- After this, you will see your phone number, and below it, there will be an option named “Better Sharing on Google”, and you have to uncheck the box.
Simply. People with your phone number will no longer be able to make calls on Google Duo. Also, if you do not want people to identify you by phone number, you can uncheck the box before “Help people identify you with this number”.
You can also remove your phone number from Google to stop such calls, but that way, you won’t be able to use other services, such as when you need a code to sign in.
Bonus Tip: Prevent People from Watching Your Video Before Taking the Call
Google Duo also has a feature that allows users to watch the caller’s video without even receiving the call. So, if you don’t want anyone to watch your video when you’re not picking up the ring, you can easily pause it too.
Google Duo has a feature called “Knock Knock”, and when you disable this feature, it won’t show your or the other’s video screen before the call starts. Here’s how to turn it off:
- Open the Google Duo app on your phone and tap on the three dots on the top right.
- Now, select Settings and then tap on “Call Settings”.
- Here at the top, you will see “Knock knock for this device”; tap on it.
- On the next page, at the bottom, turn off the toggle next to “Knock knock for this device”.
Just! Now no one will be able to see your video before the call starts, and you will not be able to watch others’ videos either.
Note: Knock Knock feature only works for your contacts and not strangers.
This is how you can stop receiving random video calls on Google Duo on your phone, and you can also turn off the video before taking the call. Stay tuned for more tech tips like this one.